There’s something to be said about fall in New York City. It’s not just about the fact that pumpkin spice lattes are back (although that’s definitely a factor). There is a contagious energy in the air – whether that has to do with the the changing colors of leaves, the crispness in the air or a gentle reminder that holiday season is just around the corner. Perhaps one of the most exhilarating parts about the transition from sweet summertime to fall season, however, is transitioning your wardrobe.
However, as we know all too well, we share our island with millions of others. While there is a sense of camaraderie that accompanies this, one can’t help but deny that it takes a toll on much needed closet space. So how does one assist the metamorphosis of their attire whilst adhering to these limitations? Here are some easy ways to make this change, without really changing much at all:
- Invest in buying a cute leather jacket, blazer or trench coat that can act as a staple for fall season. You can use this so that you get to keep your favorite summer dress and strappy tops – simply slip into your jacket of choice depending on whether you’re looking for a night on the town or simply a trip to the farmers market.
- Put some thought into your way of layering. The key is to adorn just the right amount of layers (I recommend 3-4 layers, tops). If done right, layers won’t make you seem bulky but instead will update the very same outfits you may have worn all summer. Plus, the smarter you are about your layers the warmer you’ll be; always a bonus.
- It’s all in the details. Scarves and leggings are going to be your best friends this fall, because they not only help with keeping you warm but can also completely transform an outfit. They go with strappy tops, jumpsuits and rompers or just your favorite summer tunic. The best part is the freedom available to you in terms of the colors, patterns and materials that are available. I guarantee you’ll find ones that seem as though they were made just for you.
- We all know that shoes make or break a wardrobe. Boots can make you look and feel as though you’re ready for anything. A good pair of booties can spruce up almost any outfit – from your favorite summer dress to boyfriend jeans and a plain tee.
- Lastly, I would like to point out the importance of colors. Colors can be used to make a seasonal transition in so many ways. A bolder lip color or eye shadow can immediately signal that you’re aware of the time of year, but make sure you keep the rest of your makeup on the lighter end. Darker nail colors like burgundy or teal are also a wise choice. Make sure you also implement these color changes when it comes to your clothing – the richer the better.
Chandni Purswani is a contributing writer. Email her at violet firstname.lastname@example.org.