On December 2, Victoria’s Secret hosted their annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in London instead of their usual New York event. Aside from the new location, there are many other reasons why this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is set to be more exciting than previously.
- This year there will be two Fantasy Bras, worn by Alessandra Ambrosio and Adriana Lima. Both Fantasy Bras cost $2 million, but still don’t top model Gisele Bündchen’s 2000 Fantasy Bra, valued at $15 million.
- There will be more models walking down the runway this year than before–47 models and 81 looks to be exact–which means more looks for us to fawn over.
- This year’s musical performances feature Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande and Hozier. While it will be exciting to hear native British crooner Ed Sheeran along with Irish musician Hozier, it will be the second year in a row Swift will perform during the show and the first repeat performance in the show’s history.
- The different segments this year include Gilded Angels, Exotic Traveler (Fantasy Bra), Dream Girls, Fairy Tale, University of Pink and Angel Ball.
- The debut of the Victoria’s Secret holiday commercial. Last year’s commercial was set in Paris at night backed by Banks’ track, “Waiting Game.” Overall viewers can look forward to a very romantic and classic Victoria’s Secret.
All of these elements help add to the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show history, one steeped in pink, crystal, and angel wings. Since its first show in 1995, walking in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is akin to “making it” in the modeling industry. While not Chanel, the event has paved its own path as being one of the most exclusive shows to walk in, as models dream of one day earning their wings and becoming an Angel. All one has to do is look at the careers of previous Angels, which include top models Heidi Klum, Gisele Bundchen, Tyra Banks, Miranda Kerr, Karolina Kurkova, Helena Christensen, Selita Ebanks and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. The very public outlet of the show through its televised broadcast has allowed for these models to gain more editorial, campaign, and show opportunities. Not only does the show brand itself, but it brands the Angels and models walking the show through the video clips inserted during the show, which allows views to get to know the models in a more personal way. Through this outlet, models like Candice Swanepoel have become an overnight, supermodel sensation. While all the models walking in the show have substantially successful careers in their own right, by participating in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, they are given access to a wider audience than people who read Vogue or other fashion publication, bringing in a more diverse viewership than any other couture show.
On December 9, viewers can tune in to watch noted Angels Alessanda, Adriana, Candice, Karlie, Lily, Doutzen, Behati and Elsa saunter down the runway. Fellow returners joining them include Jourdan Dunn, Cindy Bruna, Maria Borges, Sara Sampaio, Joan Smalls, Constance Jablonski, Sui He, and Jasmine Tookes. Make sure to watch out for newcomers Yumi Lambert, Imaan Hammam, Romee Strijd and Stella Maxwell as they strut down the iconic runway for their first time.
Watch Tuesday, December 9 10/9c on CBS
Ashley Scheller is a contributing writer. Email her at email@example.com.